Building cookbooks with tests will increase the speed at which you work by giving you consistent feedback throughout the entire cookbook development process. Extending your cookbooks with custom resources will increase clarity within your recipes and provide resources that are portable to other cookbooks. Ohai plugins gather data from your nodes that will aid in more dynamic recipes and extensive reporting.
In this course, you will learn how to confidently refactor and extend a cookbook through explanation, demonstration, practice, and discussion. At the end of the course, you will have created a code repository that can be applied to solve the unique challenges you face managing your infrastructure.
• Why write tests? Why is that hard?
• Writing a test first
• Refactoring cookbooks with tests
• Faster feedback with unit testing
• Testing resources in recipes
• Refactoring to attributes
• Refactoring to multiple platforms
• Approaches to extending resources
• Why use custom resources
• Creating a custom resource